Week 3 - Art Work Management

Week 3  - Art Work Management  

Researching my first student art show has been a real eye-opener. Sure, you need art – that's a given! But the planning goes way beyond just collecting masterpieces. Deciding on a theme, choosing the right number of pieces per student, and figuring out storage are just a few of the many considerations that sprouted up during my research. It seems like a simple concept, but there's a surprising amount of work that goes into making it a reality. To tackle these challenges, I've broken down the process into a series of steps for a smooth and successful show.

Step One: Portfolio Power

First things first: storage! With 150 to 250 portfolios per school across three locations, space is a major concern. Individual bins just won't cut it. Many art teachers have shared creative solutions online, from collective storage in large containers with dividers (like those in some Art Education University videos) to vertical dividers on existing shelves (a great Pinterest hack!). Pre-made portfolios from School Specialty are also an option, but I'll need to weigh the cost against DIY options.

DIY Art Storage School Specialty YouTube Art of Education

Step Two: Building the Portfolios

With hundreds of students, creating portfolios becomes quite the project! Budget is a key factor, so I'll be exploring creative and affordable solutions like those found on various art teacher websites. Sturdy, reusable portfolios that fit the designated storage space are a must.

Deep Space Sparkle The Art of Education University School Specialty Mrs. Knight's Smartest Artists Art With Mrs. E

Step Three: Filling the Portfolios – A Balancing Act

Now, what goes in these portfolios? Should I save every single piece of artwork a student creates throughout the year? That wouldn't leave much to send home with parents. Focusing solely on "successful" pieces feels restrictive. Finding a balance seems key. Art educator Kelly Phillips from Art of Education University makes a compelling point about letting students have some choice in the art show pieces. Digital portfolios on platforms like Artsonia could also be a great way to showcase ongoing work for parents while keeping physical pieces for the show.

Artsonia

Taking Action: My Steps to Success

This week, I'm tackling Step One by evaluating storage options at all three schools. Collective storage with dividers seems like the most space-efficient solution, and I already have some of these items. Next comes Step Two which requires investigating options for portfolio creation. Exploring alternative ways to DIY Portfolios with recycled materials or inexpensive supplies is the plan. Student volunteers who finish their work early could even be a great resource for portfolio assembly next year! Finally, Step Three involves reviewing my curriculum to identify projects that display well together. This might necessitate some adjustments to the project sequence for future shows.

By planning ahead and involving my students, I'm confident this first art show will be a success!


What do you know that you didn't know last week?

I learned this week how essential it is to devise some system for creating a portfolio for each student and developing a manageable way to store these portfolios.  I right now I am exploring where I can store all these art projects next year in a already crammed pack room. Space is to do this is a literal barrier right now in my classrooms. I  am not sure where I will find the space to put a collection of art work... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Art?

Week 2- Rabbit Hole