Why Art?

I love this video because it is a really good way to explain why Visual Arts Class is so important. I find at my schools that not only do I struggle with the students seeing the importance of my class. But worse I feel that I have to justify the importance of the class to the administration. I currently teach at 3 private schools, and one school definitely does not see the importance of the class. To add to that, for the past 2 years the school has provided me with ZERO DOLLARS to buy supplies. Thats right, I have not Art Budget or Funds. To add insult to injury, the principal insinuates all projects can be done with markers and color pencils. When she describes lesson plans, she always uses an example of learning about "Jonny Apple Seed."  If your confused to what she is referring to, you are not alone. I have no clue what that has to do with learning about the Elements of Art or Principles of Design. 

I think my first hurtle with creating an Art Show at this school, will be getting the Principal to see the importance to why we need one. If I get any where on this art show, I need her to see the relevance of art has and it cross curriculum benefits. 




Comments

  1. Such a wonderful reflection and I loved watching the video. I know you can pull it off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the arts, and it is always a shame to seem bottom-line decision-making denigrating them. Hopefully, the student-artists and their parents will get a chance to feel pride in showing their work, and it will get some positive notice from your administration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to share with you! Our district hosted the Illinois Art Education Association State Student Art Show. You better watch out that could be next in your future :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2- Rabbit Hole